Monday, August 27, 2007

Jebel Ali in the news

I had to go into Jebel Ali just after eight this morning and the smoke from the warehouse fire was thick, black and billowing.

According to reports it was in a chemical warehouse, which is a worry. The authorities are currently taking air readings for pollution, and presumably to work out what has been released into the air.

The wind was blowing the smoke out towards the ocean so hopefully it won't cause any health problems.

On the way back the traffic was at a standstill on Sheikh Zayed Road. The police had closed the road for a rescue helicopter to land on it, so I assumed there had been a bad accident.

However, after ten minutes or so the chopper took off and the road was re-opened. I saw no evidence of any accident, the road was completely clear. My guess is that there must have been an accident on the Metro construction which is right at the side of the road.

Anyone heard anything about that?

All the drama and it was the one day I didn't have my camera with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in the Marina and work in Jebel Ali. When I got up, I thought we were due for a wonderfully British storm so dark was the sky.

It was a bit chaotic (no, a lot chaotic) in JA. I very quickly decided a day working from home was safer - the black clouds were coming very close to my building. They only decided to close the port somewhere around 8:30 - and promptly evaculated everyone outside of the building to stand around. Under the smoke.
What I can't understand was why they didn't close the port earlier. A few thousand people working for a few hours under a large pall of smoke caused by unknown chemicals is crazy.
I tend to take my camera with me wherever I go, so I did get some photos - but I've no idea how to post them here !

Seabee said...

Hi beansprout. I live in the Marina too and I was a bit concerned about what might be in the air.

Send me an e-mail if you want to know how to post pics.